Sunday, April 10, 2011

Thoughts

Well, to start off, I want to clarify that this is just a blog for me. I have a hard time journaling, and I'm hoping that the idea that others will be able to see what I post and/or care what I have to say will help me to keep up the blog. 


I went to church today and it was a fabulous message on Mark 10:1-16. Jesus is first approached by Pharisees who try to trap him when they ask about divorce. Then the disciples (ignoring what they were taught in chapter 9) tell the children coming to be touched by Jesus to keep their hands to themselves. Jesus gets annoyed and tells the disciples that the children are to be valued and that we should all have a child-like faith. 


This is where things got interesting... We were asked what the difference is between a Pharisee's faith and a child's faith. Then were challenged by the question: "What would we need to do, from where we stand now as metaphorical Pharisees, to have a child's faith?"


Wow. I don't really know. I'm thinking that the Holy Spirit is going to have to help me a lot this week -- and into the future. I'm not sure why I always put a time limit on when I expect things to happen. "Have a good week" is such a strange statement, I feel like the response should be "Thanks, and after that my life will be like chewing on crap and banging my head against the wall. Thanks for not saying my whole life should be good." But I suppose it's cultural. The euphemism or connotation to "Have a nice life" is that I'll never see them again. Which isn't the intent.


Anyway... my point was that I need have the Holy Spirit working in my life so I'm not coming to Jesus just for approval of decisions I've already made, but asking for a decision from him before I make my own. I also need to be searching and curious. 


Tomorrow night I leave for Korea. My wonderful roommate is driving me to Seatac at 3:30am. I am amazed and delighted at the way she has worked out everything to accommodate my travels. I'm very excited to see a friend that I haven't seen IRL for several months. We've been skyping, but it's just not the same. 


I'm gonna post this in thirty seconds, without rereading it - YIKES! I never don't reread thinsg (pun intended).  But the goal of the blog is to get me writing things down rather than just obsessing over them in my mind. Having something as purposeless as a journal is hard for me. A blog might help. We'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?