Friday, January 13, 2012

Week One

Who knew I would be ready to come home after one week?! I thought I would be super excited for at least one month. But maybe it's school, or the fact that I still don't feel like I'm in a foreign country -- other than the fact that everyone speaks a different language, I only know how to get to certain places, and it all looks completely different. Maybe I just need to have some pizza or popcorn. And, did you know, cigarette smoke in France actually smells good?

Oh, well. I'm in France! I have to enjoy it!!** I've been trying to book cheap flights to anywhere in Europe, but haven't succeeded yet. I have a local bank account now, which is required for basically everything in France. I think I could get by without one, but you need a bank account for the most random things, like a tram card or a cell phone.

Here are a few things that I have done lately (that make France a much better place to spend six months):

This is Grosse Cloche (it means 'big bell'), it used to be an entrance into the city.


Pont de Pierre along the river. Beautiful bridge. I have been over it once on Tram A to get to a church in another part of Bordeaux.



Still along the river.


Very odd statue. Detail of the front fountain is in the lower picture. There is a rooster on the front and several horses with fish tails for rears. I'm still not sure what mythical creatures these are all supposed to be. 



A road. Facing an old entrance to the city. Don't ask me where it is. I just walked there with a big group. Sheesh, what's with the interrogation!?


Church near Hotel de Ville tram stop. So breathtaking. 


I wish the pictures were clearer. 


Just the pipes on that organ were twice my height!


Wonderful to see a nativity scene. 


Sorry this became somewhat of a picture album. I figure some of you will want to see pictures and some may skip over -- no, wait. All of you will want to see pictures.

**I acknowledge the fact that I am blessed to be able to spend six months in a beautiful area so different from my home. Please no "Keep your chin up" type comments! Thank you. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the pics. Grandma came and read your blog too. She says it looks like a wonderful city for sightseeing. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horses, with fishtails for rears....Seahorses?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?