Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Italy, Day 5: Rome, Part 2 of 3

Here are some of the museums we visited while inside the Vatican. My goal was to get to the Sistine Chapel, but it turns out the Vatican has about ten museums that you have to go through to get there. Then there are a few more left after the Sistina Capella before you can exit.



Dabin and me with some giant sculptured head. 

Dabin and me with a strange metal artwork. It's quite interesting and beautiful, in its own way. 

An acorn taller than a person. 

A small courtyard surrounded by wonderful works of art. 

These (I'm not sure what to call them) carvings in marble are beautifully done. The people and figures actually stand out from the sides of the (possibly) bathtubs. 

It's fun to be irreverent sometimes!





A view outside one of the windows. That's Rome!

Some of the ceilings were amazing!

One of the most beautiful ceilings I saw in the Vatican. 
And yes, I was bending backwards to get the end of the shot so the camera gets a bit wobbly. 

I was amazed at how each room is filled with paintings and murals. 


Our audio guides explained the creation, history and artwork of the Sistine Chapel. It was amazing. I'm not sure how long I stood in the middle of the room staring up, but it was long enough to give me a crick in my neck! There were guards yelling at everyone to not take pictures (apparently it's against the rules) but eventually they went and sat down in a portion of the room that makes it almost impossible to see what the tourists are doing. So I started taking videos, and snapped a couple pictures: 

Sorry about the camera angle, just tilt your head to the left!


The day wasn't over, so Part 3 is on its way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?