Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Italy, Day 8: Rome

My last day in Rome!

My first stop was the Pantheon! But first I got lost. While on the bus to the Pantheon, I met some people from Salt Lake City. We all managed to get off at the correct stop but I felt like I had a handle on the area so went off half cocked. It was a bad idea. I found an area of Rome that is more like the old town with narrow side streets and lots of small shops. I actually found Campo de Flori, Palazzo Farnese, Palazzo Spada, and Largo di Torre Argentina. But I would have enjoyed all of that more if I weren't looking for the Pantheon specifically. The area was full of tourists and I could have asked any of them for help, but I was too stubborn. I did finally ask someone at a museum where I was on the map. Unfortunately, he didn't know English so could only gesture and say the names of streets. We figured it out.

I was on my way to the Pantheon! But I realized I lost my way when I found this buidling:


This is possibly Palazzo Madama or Piazza Sant Ignazo. Or maybe a random church. 

I turned back around and kept looking for the street I was supposed to turn down. This was my first sighting of the Pantheon:

The backside of the Pantheon.

As I was coming around the side of the Pantheon. 

Standing in front of the Pantheon looking out at the square. 

The Pantheon was closed due to weather.

I walked back to the bus stop and managed to find the one going back to Roma Termini for a train back to Ciampino to finish my dismal day. Along the way, I saw this building:

Possibly Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II. 

If you ever go to Rome, take bus 64 from the train station! I didn't know about this bus line until my last day but I was amazed at all the major land marks it stops at. The perfect public tourist bus. And it only costs about one euro for an hour of journeys. 

Leaving Downtown Rome for the last time during my stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?