Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Italy, Day 9 & 10: Rome Ciampino

My flight out from Ciampino with RyanAir was scheduled for Sunday at four in the afternoon. I got to the airport much earlier than I expected so I sat down to read my book. I decided after about an hour to get in line to get my boarding pass.

After maybe 30 minutes in line, I get to the front and the lady behind the counter tells me that my flight has been cancelled. I was stunned. She tells me to go to the ticket line around the corner.

I get to the ticket line and there are maybe seventy people in line. That evening, I stood in line for six hours straight. I have never been so miserable in my life. So I read my book while standing with my purse on my shoulder and my backpack at my feet. I tried to sit on the floor once by feet immediately started cramping, probably had to do with the fact that I had been walking around for the past week and had been standing for four hours already.

Getting a flight out the next morning was easy once I got to the front of the line. They also offered a hotel to stay at for free, but I had already decided to go back to my hostel (only 25 euros per night). The hostel also offered to pick me up from the airport, so I took them up on that.

My last day in Rome actually turned out to be a Monday, when I was supposed to be in class from 8:30am to 12pm. My flight was scheduled to leave Rome Ciampino at 9:45 but we didn't board until 11:45am. I was so thankful to be back in Bordeaux that afternoon. Bordeaux now feels a little like home, although it can't compare to being surrounded by the family I love and the friends I've made strong relationships with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?