Thursday, March 1, 2012

South France, Day 3 & 4: Cannes

I was surprised by Cannes. I expected more glamour for a city that gets all the celebrities. But the beach was wonderful, I'll give it that. This was our first city along the Mediterranean; and I was blown away by how blue it is!

No, this is not a picture of the Mediterranean. Hold your horses! I'll get there soon. 

An interesting side street called Rue Georges Clemenceau. 

The view from near Notre-Dame de l'Esperance church. 

You're lucky you're seeing this shot; I'm scared of heights and this was one of the scariest moments I've had in a long time!

This was at Musee de la Castre. A very strange marionette with a mask in the background. 


The beach!

Alexandra and I decided to head to Ile Saint-Marguerite, an island just off the cost of Cannes.


Alexandra and I. 

Map of the island.

In front of Musee de la Mer.

We were at the cell of the iron mask!
A placard explained: 
The Iron Mask, whose identity remains a mystery, was held in this cell on the order of King Louis XIV for eleven years (1687-1698) before being transferred to the Bastille in Paris where he died in 1703. 


The door out of the Iron Mask's cell. 
The information at the museum about this man was fascinating. I've wondered about him since the Hollywood movie came out. 


Waiting for the boat to come back and pick us up. 

Late lunch at Les Melting Pots. Excellent quiche. 

That's the Mediterranean Sea! 
It's freezing, it felt colder than the Pacific!

Cannes was a nice city with very few things to do, but a great beach! We left that night for Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?